• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expansion - sean this time
Like I said, I'm not forcing this down anyone's throat. What I am saying is if we're going to do this it's logical and most appropriate to do it now. So melodrama aside:

We have the perfect storm for expansion: 2 GMs on the waitlist (Peter and Kobie), a talent level that's pooling and a shade too high, all 30 resignings for the first time in league history and a foundation that most GMs feel is really solid. I'm not saying I lack faith in our GMs or whatever was insinuated above and passed off as logic, but

I am saying these conditions are more rare than a league lasting 8 seasons. The biggest knock has been an issue with one of those things listed above as well as lack of an official proposal. I'm saying if A is figured it it's time for B and we need to move on it while the conditions are ideal or we RISK finding ourselves in a situation where it's hotly contested again. All of this predicates on IF we even want to expands. We're at the point it's garnering enough support for the official proposal so I understand the concern but the assumption we're already ahead of ourselves isn't productive.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
(03-05-2011, 05:02 PM)dejota Wrote: We have the perfect storm for expansion: 2 GMs on the waitlist (Peter and Kobie),

This isn't any disrespect to Kobie, but IDK if he is the ideal choice for an expansion team......I wouldn't be opposed to taking an expansion team, however I do really love my situation here in Philly and would rather not take a team if I have the option to. Only if the league seriously needs it will I take an expansion team.
(03-05-2011, 05:02 PM)dejota Wrote: We have the perfect storm for expansion: 2 GMs on the waitlist (Peter and Kobie),

Also keep in mind that Giants GM also said that he probably would quit if we expanded. I know one person doesn't make a league, but shows that he has been apart of this league for awhile now. Like I said you keep the core group happy(and he def has to be considered part of the core group), and worry about the strangers, and guys on waiting list at another time. Maybe try to get them to help out another GM in drafting or whatever until another team becomes avail. I just don't see how it benefits the league to expand and right off the bat have 1 open team since Giants may end up quitting like he said. Maybe he has changed his mind since saying those comments, but if he hasn't, this has to be something to think about.
He's not going to be an expansion team, he'd be offered DET.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
While I'm not a fan of expansion, I guess if it's best for the league then that's what is best for the league.

I'm not angry about it or anything like that, and maybe I won't quit right away, but I would be more apt to stay in a league that mirrors the current MLB than I would to stay in a league that has some fiction to it. I realize we are in 2018 and a lot of the players sooner rather than later will begin to be made up guys, but I've just never been a fan of the expansion idea. But I'm not going to sit around an poo-poo it either. If the majority wants it and they feel it's best for the league than so be it and I'll support it however I can.
(03-05-2011, 05:02 PM)dejota Wrote: So melodrama aside:

I'm not saying I lack faith in our GMs or whatever was insinuated above and passed off as logic, but

We're at the point it's garnering enough support for the official proposal so I understand the concern but the assumption we're already ahead of ourselves isn't productive.

With positive, productive reply commentary like this...how can't I hop on board?

Consider me less inclined if this is the response we can expect every time people bring up valid concerns. There will only be more and more valid concerns from this point on, so if the skin is this thin already....my vote is no.
Before people start finger pointing or tempers get the best of us, lets put this in some perspective. From DJ's point of view, he has been a person that has wanted expansion and he has not had support of expansion until now. I think he views this as trying to strike while the iron is hot. Can you really blame him?

In regards to the hesitation of doing it this offseason, I don't know what it would matter if we did it this offseason or next in all honesty. As long as we have the rules in place and we are all in agreement on how this is going to be done. Which is going to be the major point of contention on some of the how to points.

I understand that some may view this as something being thrust upon you but it is not like the talks of expansion have not happened for the prior few seasons. I would hope that if you are on board with doing it next season, that you would keep an open mind and help find a way to make this work for everyone involved.

Sean
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Doing it this off-season is a mistake. GMs need a full season to prepare for a draft of this magnitude
:min2: GM
I'm up for it this off-season. Scott, what is there to prepare for? If we vote expansion yes this off-season and are given like 3-5 days to put in a list for who we want to protect I think it could work. There is nothing we won't know about expansion in FCM after DJ sets the ultimatum, so why not do it this off-season while we have incredible activity and a slue of GMs who are willing to put out their opinions and work together to make this league the best it can be. We haven't had such great stability and activity combined that we have now for a while or probably ever so in my opinion the time to act is now.
If the expansion proposal is for this offseason then no matter how good it looks I will be voting no. It's not fair to teams to have no prep time for their rosters. Its like saying "screw you GM's we are not letting you get any value for your players that you worked so hard to get when you didn't even know expansion was coming." On one hand you can say well thats the point of expansion is because of exccess talent. On another hand though its not fair to give a gm no time to manuver his roster around so he can protect who he wants to protect. I'm not even a gm that would have to worry about that but its still not fair to teams like the yanks who have extra talent lying around. If come next year they couldnt find a suitor for any of that talent then so be it but they should be given a chance to get something.

Also I think you guys are way underestimanting just how long this could take. Not everyone checks in everyday, so its more like 3 days to get your list in. Then you have to have the draft which could take a couple days, then FA needs to start which is a week long ordeal due to the 72 hour rule and the subsequent 24 hour rule after that, then we sholud be given a few extra days to trade since trading right nowe is pointless when we dont know how many players we can protect. So we are looking at, at least an extra week. That doesnt even include the voting process on if we even allow expansion which will likley take 2 days. Thats also assuming nobody has any issue with it, if they do then another proposal would need to be written. Too many things to do and too little time to do it in since no one wants to wait 3 weeks for the season to start. Even if you don't agree with my roster manuevering arguments, you can't deny the timeline arguments.

*hopfully not too many spelling erros, no time to read this over
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »