• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What If FCM Had A Rule 5 Draft?
In my opinion this is one of those things that sounds a lot more fun than it really is, and also sounds good in theory but is terrible in practice.

I'm confused by this bit.

3. Teams must have as many open slots on the 35-Man Roster as their selections. (If they wish to make 2 selections, then can only have 38 players on the 35-Man Roster.)

Is that a typo? If it's a 35 roster why is there any mention of 38?

For starters you kind of used a best case scenario view on this. I've been in leagues that had rule 5. I can tell you right now you will never see any specs that are worth grabbing let alone 13 picks worth. You may see a couple here and there but defentely not this many.

So this leaves us with mostly bench fodder (even that is being generous, it would more likely be guys who are AAAA types). If everyone wants to make 3 picks that's 90 picks. At a minute per pick that's an hour and a half. Now factor in scouting the file which let's say is another hour. So that's 2 and a half hours of time spent for what amounts to guys who would barley crack a bench. I love playing mogul but I know I'm not the only one who has less and less time to invest in it. Barley cracking the bench leads me to

PROCESS
1. Players will have “*R5*” added to their last name for the season.
2. Rule 5 selections must remain on the MLB Roster for an entire season. Placing the player on the DL is allowed, but may result in needing to be on the MLB Roster for another season.
3. Rule 5 players may be traded freely, but the requirement of staying on the active roster for a full season remains intact.
4. The original team can re-acquire the player for half of the selection cost (500K) if the selecting team no longer wishes to keep them on the MLB Roster.
5. After the season requirement has been fulfilled (or if the player is returned to the original team), the “*R5*” marking will be removed and the player can be freely moved throughout the minor league system.

I have absolutely zero faith this could be enforced with any type of consistency. You'd have to check before your about to sim the file and I could see Andy forgetting to check it or whoever else may be simming. Not saying I think Andy is incompetent but it would be an easy thing to forget or overlook even if R5 is in their name. So if this were to become a thing I'd nix this part of it, but just say that if the original team notices him not in the majors they are entitled to him for 500k.

This point isn't too big but most of the time a good reason to have a rule 5 draft is because you see too many teams hoarding talent. Well even if teams are hoarding talent (which some are) it's not like we have no talent sitting in FA all year that could be signed. I'd rather see some program in excel made that could keep track of the amount of times a player is sent down and called up and oncenhe's out of option years then he's placed on waivers. I'm not sure if spreading the talent around was one of your concerns or not but I thought it was worth mentioning.

In conclusion, for the amount of more dynamics it adds to league (which is minimal at the best of times anyway even if your best case scenario came true) it's not worth the investment for 2-3 hours just to do it. You could say "well you could just pass and not do it" but I think adding something to league is only beneficial if we can have everyone or almost everyone utilizing it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »