• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rule 5 draft
How about introducing some sort of simplified rule 5 draft. Something where you dont need to look at 50 million variables to determine if hes eligable or not and more laxed or simplified rules on how you can handle the player after you draft him. I know a lot of people think that maybe talent levels are not to high, but instead its just the distribution of the talent that could be causing the problem. This might help fix it a little.
I like the idea, but the Rule 5 draft seems hard to simplify.
I think you need a lot of variables and rules or else someone will abuse the system. A league I was in years back had a Rule 5 Draft with simplified rules and it ran very smooth. But I felt there was a big flaw in the system. The flaw was that you could choose your protect lists and thus leaving your aging veterans/big contracts exposed to the draft in order to protect more prospects.

I've proposed this in some past leagues, so I'd support this idea, but in the end I think the work is too much for what the benefit would be.
Cle

Cleveland Record5631-4946 (.532) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2135]
AL Post: 16 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 12 - ALCS Champ: 7 - WS Champ: 4

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
prolongs the offseason! no thanks, but if it were to be enabled, i wouldn't care either.
The sports mogul forums has a Rule V application however I think it's what outtahere uses and frankly it was more confusing and ended up rarely impacting anyone but peaks 70s players from what I remember. If somebody is really interested in adding this feature I'd suggest starting in those two places. I like the idea and have no problems with it but I don't have the time or care enough to research it myself tbh.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I suggested a variation of the Rule 5 Draft in an old league. Below is pretty much what it was, with some edits for what the game is now and what can work the best for the league. So, I know it's not 100% realistic to the tee of what the real world uses. But it might be the easiest thing to incorporate in a sim league.

Rule 5 Draft

1. Player Eligibility:

Any player, unless drafted the previous year, that is age 22 or older (as of April 1) is eligible to be taken.

2. Teams will be allowed to protect an additional 10 players along with their MLB roster. We will go by the Spring Training MLB roster unless noted otherwise (like if you have a young guy on the roster, but someone else will be there once the season starts). Players on the DL automatically count as one of the 10 protected since they are technically on the MLB roster. If no roster is posted, your team will be auto-sorted and we will use the top 10 Scouting Score players in your minors, regardless of minor or major league experience.

3. The Draft

- A. The Rule 5 Draft will be held just like the Amateur Draft: Live Online Draft with "Draft Lists" being able to be sent in.

- B. Draft Order will be the same as the upcoming Amateur Draft.

- C. If a player is drafted you must pay the original team $1M and he must stay on the MLB roster for the entire season. The player can be placed on the DL if he is injured, but leaving him there after he's healthy will not be tolerated. If it's deemed that a player is just sitting on the DL he may be subject to being returned to the previous team or be required to be on the MLB roster for the entire season the following year.

- D. You are not required to make a selection and can pass if you wish.

- E. A player with MLB experience can be drafted and any player can be selected in multiple seasons.

4. If you no longer wish to have the player on the MLB roster, you have 2 options:

A. You can trade him. If he is traded, the acquiring team must keep him on their MLB roster for the remainder of the season.

B. Or he can be offered back to the team he was drafted from for free. The original team may place him in the minors. If the original team doesn't want the player he can be released. Neither of the 2 teams would be allowed to sign him until the off-season. The remaining 28 teams can sign him and place him in the minors.

5. You may submit a list if you cannot make the draft. The list must be player specific or your pick will be passed.

6. Rule 5 Picks are not tradable prior to the pick, but selected players can be traded (but would still be subject to the roster requirements).

----------

A lot of the wording is just for the technicality of some situations that could arise. It basically works like this:

1. I post my Spring DC.
2. I note that Player B isn't really going to be on my opening day roster and that Player A (who is listed in my minors according to the Spring DC) will actually be on my MLB roster.
3. I can protect 10 players that fit the criteria for being eligible.
4. I can pass my pick if I wish.
5. If I draft a player I must pay the player's previous team $1M.
6. If I no longer want the player I must return him to his previous team for free or trade the player. If traded the acquiring team must have him on their MLB roster for the remainder of the season.
Cle

I like that idea but instead just change it to your sim 1 DC to avoid any confusion or mis-information.
My concern is that of DJ's. In Outtahere I've yet to draft anyone of any sort of ML impact. Most peak before 77 and aren't used much if at all.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
Maybe we could have it include major leaguers we r stuck in your farm,,= like older guys that are purley signed for backups.
I don't think it'd be very productive to have older backups as non-protectable. I think it'd be a little arbitrary as what is "old" and most teams can find a comparable part to use on their bench or front end bullpen. I rather the player eligibility to read as below rather instead:

1. Player Eligibility:

Any player that is age 22 or older (as of April 1) is eligible to be taken.

It'd be cut and dry, oh well that you just drafted him last year. If you feel he may be taken, then protect him. It would make for more selecting options. An example of this is SS Brian Haugh on my team. He was rated 74/83 to start the season and I'd have to make the decision on whether I want to protect him or take my chances on someone deeming him good enough for at least the bench.
Cle

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »