• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contract Extensions
So I don't know how many of you agree with the new rule on contract extensions but I hate it. I think the game does a fairly accurate job of asking for contracts for some of the players (except for the young arby guys).

I have three aging veterans who are all past their prime and are all asking for contracts asking for less per year than they are currently making. I don't understand why I have to pay them for my years, and more money. I understand if the rule is that they need more money total, but not for more years and a higher yearly. What I extend them to is much more than they'd make in the open market.

Someone let me know if I'm crazy here because I don't think that I am...
You're not being crazy and the rule won't always be 100% ideal, but it works out more than it doesn't IMO. I think the game does a horrible job with contracts because it doesn't take into account the player's position in the grand scheme of things.

For example, Miguel Cabrera. He just signed a compensated contract (1yr/7M), but the game would let you sign him to a 2 year deal worth about 5M. In what universe would somebody fore-go 7M in 2016 for 5M for 2017-17? In his case the rule is perfect because it prevents you from paying the player less by contract manipulation. Mark Reynolds is in a similar boat, why would he take less money just for a 2 year deal this is highly illogical no matter how you cut it up. Unless he was receiving more money/security it's in both player's best interest to go back to free agency.

The other player I think you were referring to was Brandon Webb. You just extended him on September 16th, so Webb missed out on the mulimillion/multiyear deals given out in Free Agency to sign a 1yr/13M deal with CinCin. Again, in what universe would this guy give up that money, especially considering the context in which he agreed to the contract? This is a consistent theme when players are in the final year of a deal, or it's like the Youk situation (offering options/years you intend on only paying half of to win a FA over another GM). I'm really really really really really sick of you guys giving out contracts you have not intention of honoring. When you make a contract bid in good faith, I don't have to try and stay one step ahead of you guys and your contract manipulation.

Quote:I don't understand why I have to pay them for my years, and more money. I understand if the rule is that they need more money total, but not for more years and a higher yearly. What I extend them to is much more than they'd make in the open market.

I think I answered this, but the idea isn't to make you pay more than they'd receive in the open market (I'd argue you have all three at less than market value, Cabrera/Reynolds were compensated and got no love, Webb hasn't hit the market). The idea is to make you honor the contracts you hand out. I'd prefer to err on the side of the players and be proven wrong in free agency than GMs to continue to manipulate the poorly designed contract model in BBM. You're already allowed to cut a player for only half his remaining salary, honoring your contracts isn't asking to much.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Ok I understand...
To be fair, contracts are currently set at -100% when returned to 0% we get the following:

Webb - 2yrs/12.6M
Cabrera - 4yrs/12.3M
Reynolds - 4yrs/9.9M
I get it. Thanks DJ. I'll Re-do my extensions or I'll just wait and take a chance in FA.
Does that include off-season extensions though?
No
(12-22-2010, 12:26 PM)jps93 Wrote: So I don't know how many of you agree with the new rule on contract extensions but I hate it. I think the game does a fairly accurate job of asking for contracts for some of the players (except for the young arby guys).

I have three aging veterans who are all past their prime and are all asking for contracts asking for less per year than they are currently making. I don't understand why I have to pay them for my years, and more money. I understand if the rule is that they need more money total, but not for more years and a higher yearly. What I extend them to is much more than they'd make in the open market.

Someone let me know if I'm crazy here because I don't think that I am...
agree
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »