First Class Mogul
Comp FAs Returned - Printable Version

+- First Class Mogul (https://www.firstclassmogul.com)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.firstclassmogul.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: League Suggestions (https://www.firstclassmogul.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Comp FAs Returned (/showthread.php?tid=56361)

Comp FAs Returned - mattynokes - 01-21-2020

It was brought up in the chat and I don't think it's a bad idea to explore. The idea is simple, to no longer allow Comp FAs to immediately be traded if returned. They would be treated like a normal 2 year FA signing and not be eligible to be traded until after Sim 6 (July 1).

Comp fallback contracts have been viewed like arbitration deals, just like Comp FAs were viewed under the old Comp system in real life. With the 2 year contracts that we do, there could certainly be reason to suggest that they shouldn't be able to be traded.

I'm probably not alone in thinking that there's too many unworthy comps made in re-signings in the hopes that someone bails you out with a bid. I think doing this could cut back on a few comp FAs when people know they'd be stuck with the player for at least half a season.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - JMaineD - 01-21-2020

I agree with this

RE: Comp FAs Returned - Rhendricks - 01-21-2020

Being the one that brings it up, I obviously think that they should be subject to the same sign and trade rules as any other player. To me, it shouldn't matter if a new team signs them or if they're returned. If a new team offers the same 2 Year @ 8 Mil contract, he's not eligible to be traded. Just like if the original team gave him that contract at resigning rather than comping him. 

Comping a player should be a risk. If he returns to you, you shouldn't be able to just imidiately unload him and move on, even if you end up eating part of the contract.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - Geaux Blue - 01-21-2020

Agreed with Rhen Diesel.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - texas_tornado - 01-21-2020

I disagree. I think it's fine the way it is. How often does a returned guy get traded immediately anyway? If the risk of having to keep a guy for 3 months and pay him 4M over that time keeps you from comping a guy, then he probably wasn't getting comped anyway.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - AndyP - 01-21-2020

One thing that could help would be to indicate how frequently it's happening.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - cadmus2166 - 01-22-2020

I agree that returned comp FA should not be immediately trade eligible.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - mattynokes - 01-22-2020

(01-21-2020, 10:46 PM)AndyP Wrote: One thing that could help would be to indicate how frequently it's happening.

I think it's a tall order to show which trades involve Comp returns. RH brought it up in the chat and I felt it was a worthy discussion on which people feel is better - to treat them like any other FA signing or keep treating them like an arbitration deal. I don't think there's a wrong answer on this.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - hickoxb2 - 01-22-2020

(01-21-2020, 04:36 PM)texas_tornado Wrote: I disagree. I think it's fine the way it is. How often does a returned guy get traded immediately anyway? If the risk of having to keep a guy for 3 months and pay him 4M over that time keeps you from comping a guy, then he probably wasn't getting comped anyway.

I agree.  This is a solution to something that isn't a problem.  If you want to fine people the other half of that first year of the contract to prevent this or even the full contract, go for it if you're feeling punitive.  But preventing another team from trading for a player is an unintended consequence that hurts more than this (unnecessary) rule would help.

RE: Comp FAs Returned - AndyP - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 11:23 AM)mattynokes Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 10:46 PM)AndyP Wrote: One thing that could help would be to indicate how frequently it's happening.

I think it's a tall order to show which trades involve Comp returns. RH brought it up in the chat and I felt it was a worthy discussion on which people feel is better - to treat them like any other FA signing or keep treating them like an arbitration deal. I don't think there's a wrong answer on this.

I was simply wondering if the frequency warranted the concern.