First Class Mogul
Compensation - Printable Version

+- First Class Mogul (https://www.firstclassmogul.com)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.firstclassmogul.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: League Suggestions (https://www.firstclassmogul.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Compensation (/showthread.php?tid=46469)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Compensation - mattynokes - 12-09-2017

I'm just now getting to something that Andy and I talked about months ago.

My suggestion was to tap into the new compensation system in MLB a little further. Now MLB has minimums a player needs to sign for (based on other factors too) in order for the old team to get a compensation pick. I wouldn't go that far in-depth with this new twist, but I think minimum signing thresholds could be good.

It seems any halfway decent player gets a Fallback offer and it just bogs down the draft. Is a guy that signs for or just above the Fallback really worth it? Rather than raise the Fallback offers again, simply put in these thresholds in order to get a compensation pick...

Type A = 50M
Type B = 25M

1. Old teams still declare Type A or Type B and players still return if they are not signed
2. If a Type A player signs for 50M+, the old team gets a pick after the 1st round (Type A)
3. If a Type A player signs for less than 50M, the old team gets a pick after the 2nd round (Type B)
4. If a Type B player signs for 25M+, the old team gets a pick after the 2nd round (Type B)
5. If a Type B player signs for less than 25M, the old teams does not get a pick

Now someone might ask why not just get rid of declaring Type A or Type B. We could, but having to declare keeps the risk and intrigue. It will also speed up the process a bit for players who are clear Type A, where the bidding could get nickel and dimed if they all started at $8Mx2.

RE: Compensation - AndyP - 12-09-2017

Did you come up with the 50 and 25 based on comp trends or were you spit-balling?

Just curious.

RE: Compensation - rockybull - 12-09-2017

I also have an idea to add on to this. In real life, a player can only be comp'd once now, I think that's a good idea for here too, because we've seen over the years guys get comp'd and comp'd and signed and then comp'd again. I just don't see how that's a good idea for the league.

One example is Herrod of the Tigers was comp'd 2 offseasons ago and Tigers bid and won him. Now he's Type A comp again, and he may or may not sign with a team, but if he does, then Tigers fully reaped the reward. They got 2 good seasons out of him AND get a nice pick. That's very definition of rich getting richer. In no way is that a good thing for the league, and i've felt like that for awhile now, because this isn't first time we've seen it, nor will it be the last.

Detroit is doing nothing at all wrong with current rules, he should do that, if i was him and i had Herrod I would do the exact same thing. This was just an example of why I think the league can benefit from a change.

It's easy to keep up with this by making a certain mark like Andy does with WB with nickname. Or you could just pin it in the FA comp players signed thread, which is super easy to keep track of.

Ammy draft should be to help teams that are bad with getting earlier picks, not continuing to knock those teams down. I think this suggestion with Matty's makes a lot of sense for the league, especially with competitive balance.

RE: Compensation - mattynokes - 12-09-2017

(12-09-2017, 07:49 PM)AndyP Wrote: Did you come up with the 50 and 25 based on comp trends or were you spit-balling?

Just curious.

Sort of spit-balling, but some logic to it.

At 50M, it means even tacking on a 3rd year, doesn't reach the threshold.
16Mx2 going to 16Mx3 is still just 48M.

The same with 25M where 8Mx2 going to 8Mx3 is still 24M.

In XAT the idea was this:

No more Type A/B, now we simply declare compensation.

Min bid/fallback - 2 years 12.5M

If the player gets 25M-49.9M in total pay the team gets a Type B comp pick

50+M gets a Type A pick

RE: Compensation - mzylinski - 12-09-2017

I like Andy's, don't like Rocky's

RE: Compensation - mattynokes - 12-09-2017

(12-09-2017, 08:21 PM)AndyP Wrote: In XAT the idea was this:

50+M gets a Type A pick

While I prefer what I originally posted, I'm not opposed to doing away with A/B designations. I do still like the thresholds. Whatever we raise the Fallback to, I think people will still have those "Ah, fuck it" bids in the 11th hour simply because they have the payroll space. So, I would say...

Fallback: 10Mx2

Type B Pick = 25M-49.9M
Type A Pick = 50M+

If a player signs for 20M-24.9M, it's treated like a normal FA signing. No one gains a pick, no one loses a pick.

RE: Compensation - rockybull - 12-09-2017

(12-09-2017, 08:24 PM)mzylinski Wrote: I like Andy's, don't like Rocky's

that's how it is in real life. why should teams sign comp guys, they help them, then get to comp guys right back in a few years and get a pick for them? seems really silly to me.

RE: Compensation - texas_tornado - 12-09-2017

(12-09-2017, 08:27 PM)mattynokes Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 08:21 PM)AndyP Wrote: In XAT the idea was this:

50+M gets a Type A pick

While I prefer what I originally posted, I'm not opposed to doing away with A/B designations. I do still like the thresholds. Whatever we raise the Fallback to, I think people will still have those "Ah, fuck it" bids in the 11th hour simply because they have the payroll space. So, I would say...

Fallback: 10Mx2

Type B Pick = 25M-49.9M
Type A Pick = 50M+

If a player signs for 20M-24.9M, it's treated like a normal FA signing. No one gains a pick, no one loses a pick.

This is the format I like best atm. Even good with going higher with:
Fallback: 12.5Mx2

Type B Pick = 30M-49.9M
Type A Pick = 50M+

I tend to lean towards the plan to remove the Type A/B system and simplify it to compensation generally. Then your pick is determined by the market.

But I'll let everyone discuss and just listen.